I met Stan Bromley in 1973. He was food and beverage manager
of The Stanford Court, San
Francisco. We hit it off from the start. We’ve been close friends ever since.
How close? This close:
My wife, Jeanne, and I are at the Mobil 5-Star event. When
we arrive at The Clift, the front
desk hands us our check-in envelope containing everything we need: room keys, a
program of the weekend events, nametags with our given names in very large black
type, and a few other nifty amenities, courtesy The Clift and Mobil. Once in
our room, I check our nametags. Jeanne’s is correct; the name on mine is not:
it’s Steve, not Stephen. I have never liked the nickname Steve. Because I don’t
wish to go through the weekend known, summoned or shouted at as Steve, I call
Stan—still up to his ass in fretting—and ask him if he wouldn’t mind printing a
new nametag with the given name I prefer. Not a problem he tells me. “It’ll
look just like the old one, not something free-hand-scrawled in Magic Marker?”
I ask. Not a problem, he says.
Ten minutes later, one of Stan’s interns enters our room
with the brand new nametag. It is on a silver platter, cloche-covered. As
befits an intern of the Four Seasons Hotel, he ceremoniously lifts the cloche, gently places it on the coffee
table, hands the silver platter to Jeanne, bows out. As promised, the nametag isn’t Steve. It
isn’t Stephen, either. It is “Asshole.”
Just like the original “Steve,” “Asshole” is in very large black type. Jeanne
can’t stop laughing. She wants to know what I plan to do with it. “Wear it,” I
say. “I’ll wear it tonight to the opening reception.” Don’t you dare, she says.
I do dare. The photographer with Mobil takes a picture of me at the reception,
the nametag on the pocket of my suit visible for everyone to see. Stan is
standing next to me. I still have the nametag. And the photograph.

No comments:
Post a Comment