It was one of those awful covers
created and executed on deadline: a photograph of a museum store model of
Rodin’s “Thinker.” Atop his head, we had placed a miniature toque,
deadline-designed by our art director.
Next to the statue, we printed this: “Worried About Beef?” The
inference, I assumed, was obvious, wasn’t it? There had been a shortfall of
beef because of a deliberate thinning of the herds by cattle ranchers; and we
felt it our duty, having donned our “thinker’s” toque, to advise our readers how to cope. I was but a couple of years into my career as editor of Restaurant Hospitality. What could I have been thinking?
Hot on the heels of what we later
referred to as “That Stinker Cover,” I received in the mail a copy of the cover
from a Chicago restaurateur. Next to “Worried About Beef?,” he had scribbled,
“No, but I am about your art director.” I was offended. Who the hell was this
guy to assume an aesthetic superior to mine or my art director’s?
What followed was an exchange of letters between me and Chef Louis Szathmary
that, were we not 375 miles apart but next door to each other, might easily
have resulted in fisticuffs or its oral equivalent.
Had I given it some thought,
instead of precipitously shooting my mouth off, I would have thanked Louis for
his opinion and for his taking the time to do just that, and gone on with my
life, arranging, perhaps, to meet him
some day.
Those some days came and went.
Eventually, we met—at Travel/Holiday
magazine reunions, at his great restaurant in Chicago, The Bakery, and at
conferences sponsored by this organization or that. Always at his side was his
good and gracious wife, Sadako (below, with Louis).
What had started out adversarially evolved into
a warm and endearing friendship where fellowship reigned and reflections on
what this industry was all about and where it was going dominated our
conversations. Like so:
At a reception, Louis and I discuss
the relationship between customer and owner. I hem and haw: the customer is
always right, I hem and haw. Not so, argues Louis, who, in the years I knew
him, never once hemmed or hawed. “Patrons masquerading as know-it-alls, who
offend my staff with demands that border on the pathological and, in the
process, offend everyone else in the restaurant within hearing distance, are
told to leave,” he says, “and warned never ever to return.”
Involved as a panelist in a debate
between restaurateurs and critics who had high praise, indeed, for his candor
and his wonderful restaurant, he nonetheless—ignoring their gushings—took their
craft to task by insisting that the bunch of them “didn’t know the difference
between shiitake and Shinola.” It remains, to this day, one of my favorite
quotes.
Never one to mince his words, Louis
was true to his values and principles, refusing to deviate from or amend them
because, maybe, it would have been politically correct to do so. He was proud
of his profession and no one was going to sully it with shameful sucking up,
mindless criticism, or stupid metaphors like a photo of The Thinker wearing a
toque.
Louis Szathmary died October 4.

No comments:
Post a Comment